Previously on season two of the Bitches Get Riches podcast…
We dealt with the existential guilt of crushing your personal finances while your friends struggle to get by. This time, though, we’re taking a question from the other end of the spectrum. What do you do, practically and mentally, when your very modest life goal feels like a financial impossibility?
Naturally, we had opinions. And not just because we are two loudmouthed internet white ladies who have never learned when to shut up!
This week’s question
An anonymous Tumblr follower asks…
Hi Bitches! I’m only twenty years old, so I know this is unrealistic, but my greatest wish in life is to own a teeny tiny cottage somewhere with a garden.
I don’t even care where in the world I have to live to make it happen. Like I said: unrealistic. I know that I probably won’t get my little cottage for a long time.
All the same, I know absolutely nothing about how to work towards that goal, so do you have any advice for a young aspiring homeowner? How does buying a house even work? Thank you!– Anonymous Tumblr follower
Kitty and I had a very, very visceral reaction to this question, which you’ll hear in the episode. I’m not saying we decided to burn it all down and start the revolution because owning a small rural home with a garden should not fucking seem like an unattainable goal, but, well…
I digress. Here’s your homework:
- Ask the Bitches: I Know How to Struggle and Fight, but I Don’t Know How to Succeed
- Update: I Know How to Struggle and Fight, but I Don’t Know How to Succeed
- Season 1, Episode 4: “Capitalism Is Working for Me. So How Could I Hate It?”
- The Subjectivity of Wealth, Or: Don’t Tell Me What’s Expensive
- “Poor People Are Poor Because They Are _____. Rich People Are Rich Because They Are _____.”
- Season 1, Episode 9: “I’ve Given up on My Dream Career. Where Do I Go From Here?”
A huge fucking thank you to our lovely patrons, who made season two of the podcast possible. The capeless heroes who are our Patreon donors get all kinds of extra BGR goodies, including grainy cellphone footage of us singing the “Elephant Love Medley” from Moulin Rouge. Well worth their hard-earned pennies, I’m sure they’d agree. Patreon donors can vote on article topics, pitch us questions directly, and get private answers from us directly in their inbox. Join us over at our Patreon page!